National Tree Day – Sept 26th 2012.
We join with the nation in the celebration of this worthy event! Of course we do….we grow trees….thousands of trees! Here is an excerpt from an article about National Tree Day.
“April 24, 2012 – Ottawa, ON) This will be the second year that Canada finally has its own official day to celebrate trees. Plan now to celebrate National Tree Day on September 26th, 2012.
The motion to declare National Tree Day received consent from the House of Commons on March 2, 2011 with Tree Canada in attendance. In 2011, a number of events took place, marking the first National Tree Day. These included:
- Over 150 events held in all the provinces and territories of Canada encouraging thousands of Canadians to plant and care for trees
- 3,716 trees were registered to be planted on National Tree Day or during the week of September 19, 2011
For 2012, start planning your project and register your event now! Visit us later for new information on: a major high-profile event in Ottawa, a National Tree Day Registry with awards and kits to community groups, and a ‘Get Treemotional’ contest from environmentally responsible partners.www.nationaltreeday.ca
September 26, 2012, the day for Canadians to celebrate our greatest natural asset – trees!
About Tree Canada
Tree Canada is a not-for-profit charitable organization established to encourage Canadians to plant and care for trees in urban and rural environments. A winner of the Canadian Environmental Award (2007), Tree Canada engages Canadian companies, government agencies and individuals to support the planting of trees, the greening of schoolyards, and other efforts to sensitize Canadians to the benefits of planting and maintaining trees. To date, more than 77 million trees have been planted, more than 450 schoolyards have been greened, and Tree Canada has organized 9 national urban forest conferences. More information about Tree Canada is available at www.treecanada.ca.
For more information contact:
613-567-5545, ext. 224
Here is the link to the Tree Canada “National Tree Day” site: http://www.treecanada.ca/national-tree-day/pages.php?lang=en&page=home
For our part, we are holding our own national Tree Day Contest and of course the prize will be….
Here is how our contest works;
- Take a digital picture of your favorite tree
- Write a short story about why you love this tree. (can be for personal, emotion or practical reasons!) Your tree does not need to be yours nor does it need to be beautiful. Just tell us why it is special to you.
- Send your pic and your story to email@example.com . With you permission we will publish your pic and your story on our Facebook page (with or without your name as you choose) http://www.facebook.com/SpringvaleNurseriesLtd
- From your entries we will pick a winner and let you know. We’d like to run this contest for about a month so we will post the winning entry on or Facebook and website pages and in our newsletter.
- Please include your name, phone number and address in your email.
Please take part and join the fun!